Friday, December 10, 2010

I could have figured that out on my own.

Recipes.

I love recipes and I love trying new foods. Www.allrecipes.com is my favorite go-to. I also have a few cook books that I use as a resource. I have learned to accept that, for the most part, recipes use fresh ingredients with the occasional can or jar or packet of something. Cream of chicken soup, cream of mushroom, chicken broth, tomato sauce, diced tomatoes, salsa, enchilada sauce, powdered ranch dressing, onion soup mix, bullion cubes, canned artichoke or olives--I am willing to accept these as ingredients in a recipe.

I do, however, have a problem with some ingredients. For example, I wanted to make sweet and sour chicken the other day. The recipe called for chicken (check), bell peppers (check), onions (check), pineapple (must have, check), and sweet and sour sauce.

How is that a recipe???

That tells me nothing I didn't already know!

Today, I looked in a cook book and saw a shrimp alfredo with the ingredient "Alfredo sauce." If I had a jar of alfredo sauce, I definitely wouldn't need to look up a recipe to tell me to add shrimp and noodles!

Chinese stir fry recipe--add "stir fry sauce." I don't think even Chinese people know what that is!

Steak marinade recipe--add so-and-so's marinade or so-and-so's meat seasoning rub. This is not a recipe, it is an advertisement. And, if I had the marinade, I can pretty much assume that I'm supposed to marinate the meat in it, making your recipe pointless!

My Thanksgiving turkey gravy recipe called for packets of turkey gravy.

It's sad when the title of your recipe is also the ingredient.

What is your current pet peeve?

7 comments:

Brooke said...

Ha! This reminds me of the label on the raisin box: Ingredients: Raisins.

I get annoyed by people who use the word "loose" when they mean "lose."

Also, this week the ridiculously high percentage of TV shows that are crime/law centered has made me a bit angry at the broadcasting world.

LaurenOpie said...

Oh my goodness this drives me insane!! I had a bag of black beans and I wanted to find a recipe on how to make them. Every single recipe I could find included a can of black beans! I had to refine my google search to "how to cook dry beans" in order to find a recipe! I am so with you.

But my biggest pet peeve right now is my children waking up at 5:30am every.single.day.

gurrbonzo said...

One of my favorite cookbooks has a fajita recipe that calls for "cut up veggies. Add meat if desired. Add fajita mix. Serve on tortillas. Add salsa if desired."

Huh. Who knew??

Token Asian Friend said...

Brooke-I had a time where I watched a lot of 48 hours, 20/20, and Dateline shows. My husband was convinced that I had watched enough of those shows to plan the perfect crime (against him :)

Lauren-I had the same dilemma with dry beans. I call it "The Bean Dish for Thanksgiving, 2002." It was a disaster! I have purchased canned beans ever since.

Gurrbonzo-the fajita mix instructions are probably more detailed than that! That is awesome! BTW, Thnx for the recipe!

Dawsonfamily said...

Ha ha ha. I actually just made the sweet and sour pork recipe from allrecipes.com with actual instructions for the entire thing and it turned out really good- my pet peeve about the meal? My husband adding the orange chicken sauce from the store to the mixture--hello, we are going authentic here. Great post.

Anonymous said...

This is so funny and so true.

Hmm, a current food-related peeve is that with all the possible delicious Christmas treats, people waste their energy making variations of Chex mixes or Oreo truffles or waxy chocolates. If you're going to take that time, make *real* toffee (with butter or cream) or real shortbread cookies (so, butter is the theme) or anything that's not some new combination of manufactured foodstuffs.

Brownie Bites said...

My current pet-peeve is children telling me, the mom, "just a minute." No no. That's MY line.

Great post. I've had this recipe problem too. Fresh ingredients are always so much better than cans and packets.